On July 13th 15 members of the Llanfihangel-ar-arth and Parish Local History Club went on their annual trip to visit a number of historical sites, especially industrial ones. First we saw the Neath and Tennant canal and the tinplate works in Aberdulais. Then we went on to the ruins of Aberpergwm House, home of Maria Jane Williams (1795 – 1873). She made an important collection of traditional Welsh songs. The next stop was above Hirwaun on the Rhigos mountain where a cauldron from the Iron Age was discovered in Llyn Fawr. Next to it was Tower Colliery, the last to close in the area. On then to Penrhys which looks over the Rhondda Fawr valley and was the site of a medieval sanctuary. The last place to stop was the Rhondda Heritage Centre which displayed the history of the coal industry in the area, before we had a meal on the way home. It was certainly an interesting and enjoyable day.
The programme for the next term is as follows –
October 10th – David Greenslade will talk about Surrealism in Wales (in Welsh)
November 7th – There will be a presentation by John Jones on the Characters and History of Ffair Rhos (in Welsh)
December 5th – Dr John Davies, Llandysul, will discuss the famous geologist O.T. Jones who went to Pencader Grammar School (in Welsh)
Meetings are held in Neuadd yr Ysgol, Llanfihangel, and start at 7.30pm. Admission is £3 which includes refreshments and a raffle. A warm welcome to everyone.