Archives

Categories

free counters

Places of Interest

Hill Fort, Pencader – now part of Banc farm overlooking the village. It is an Iron Age hill fort which was probably also occupied after the Roman occupation. Pencader derives its name from this site. Tradition says it was the original seat of the local chieftain. Thus the name was created from the Welsh ‘Pen’ meaning head or chief and ‘Cader’ (modern Welsh ‘Cadair’) meaning seat. An alternative explanation is that Pencader means the fort at the end of the ridge which this site certainly is.

Iron Age fort, Pencader

Iron Age fort, Pencader

Craig Gwrtheyrn, Llanfihangel – this Iron Age hill fort overlooks the Teifi river. According to legend this is where Vortigern died. Vortigern was a British leader in the fifth century who is thought to have invited Hengist and Horsa to Britain thus initiating the invasion by Angles, Jutes and Saxons.

Crown copyright: RCAHMW / Hawlfraint Coron Prydain: CBHC

St Michael’s Church, Llanfihangel – this is the original parish church of the community. Its name suggests it was built on a pre-Christian religious site possibly as early as the sixth century. The current building dates from the thirteenth century with later additions. It contains a gravestone written in Latin dating from soon after the end of the Roman occupation.
Castle, Pencader – next to the old school. It consists of a motte and bailey constructed by Gilbert de Clare in 1145 but only occupied for a few years. The old school lies in part of the bailey.

Crown copyright: RCAHMW / Hawlfraint Coron Prydain: CBHC

More information about the castle is available at CASTLES OF WALES WEBSITE

Old Man of Pencader plaque – opposite the Pavilion, Pencader. According to Gerald of Wales in the twelfth century, Henry II of England asked an old man of Pencader what he thought of his chances of defeating the Welsh. The old man’s famous reply is recorded in Welsh on the plaque.  See HISTORY

Old man plaque

Cwmhwplyn, Pencader – Nonconformity started in this part of Wales in 1650. Originally meetings were held in houses but with growing numbers and persistent persecution Cwmhwplyn was used in the 1660s and 1670s as it gave a good view of the road in case militia appeared. Cwmhwplyn
Hen Gapel – the oldest  Welsh Independent chapel in the district. It was erected in 1785 and rebuilt in 1827 but ceased to be used  for services when Tabernacle chapel was opened in 1909. It is now used for community activities.
Toll House, Alltwalis – this is situated on the main road through the village. It is recognised by its distinctive angular shape. It was used to collect tolls from road users in the middle of the nineteenth century. Originally there would also have been a gate across the road.
Woollen Mills – There are a number of empty woollen mills in the district. The woollen industry was at its peak at the beginning of the twentieth century. The best preserved mill was Arddol in Castle Road, Pencader.  Unfortunately it was demolished in 2004.

There is a commemorative web site at http://arddol.tumblr.com/

 

arddol-mill-1600