Llanfihangel-ar-Arth is the northernmost village in the community, adjoining the river Teifi. Its name comes from the parish church of St Michael which was probably established in the sixth century (see Places of Interest). A tollhouse was in use in the village in the 1840s to collect tolls from travellers and was the scene of one of the Rebecca riots when about 150 people destroyed the gate in June 1843. The tollhouse was a single storey building and is now used as a bungalow.
The railway line from Carmarthen to Lampeter ran through Llanfihangel, which had its own station called Bryn Teifi but was closed to passenger traffic in the 1960s. Now only part of the track remains. From the 1840s to the 1920s several of the houses were used for weaving when the woollen industry was important in the area.
The present village is situated around the junction of the B4436 between Llanllwni and Llandysul from east to west and the B4459 from Capel Dewi to Pencader from north to south. Besides the church there are two friendly pubs and a school which opened in 1864 but closed in 2003 and now serves as a community centre. Several small businesses are based in the village as well as an electricity board depot. These together with agriculture provide employment in the area. The village has an annual carnival and part of the Pencader Pipe Festival is held in the church.