I would like to take this opportunity to remind homeowners to secure their homes when they go on holiday this summer.
More than a third of all burglaries are crimes of opportunity, where the burglar enters through unlocked doors or windows.
Follow these simple steps to make your property more secure when leaving it unoccupied for any period of time:
· Don’t close your curtains – in daytime this shows the house is empty
· Use automatic timer switches to turn your lights on when it’s dark
· Leave a radio (on a talk program rather than music)
· Cancel any milk or newspaper deliveries
· Uncollected mail is a sign that you are away. Royal Mail’s Keepsafe service will keep your mail for up to two months while you’re away
· Hide important documents and valuable items, or leave them with other trusted family members or in a bank
· Do not put your home address on the outside of your luggage when you are travelling to your holiday destination
· Make sure that you’ve locked all doors and windows and, if you have a burglar alarm, ensure it is set
· Make arrangements with trusted family members or friends to regularly check the property until they return from holiday
· Don’t advertise the fact that you’re going on holiday on social media i.e facebook
Thank You Alice